About Laura Thielen
I grew up in Kailua, beginning school at Lanikai Elementary. (The “temporary” buildings they put up in the late ‘60s are still in use there!)
Like many local kids, I went to the mainland for college and stayed to work awhile, but came home as soon as I could.
I raised two children in Kailua, beginning their school at Aikahi Elementary. Both are grown now, and also went to the mainland for school. Hopefully both can and will return home. Making sure we have meaningful job and housing opportunities for our next generations is very near and dear to my heart.
Our family moved to Waimanalo several years ago and started a small farm business. We sell our produce to local groceries and restaurants – right here in Senate District 25! We’re members of the Waimanalo Cooperative Market, the Waimanalo Agricultural Association, and working hard to invigorate local farming and food business entrepreneurs.
Before running for office, I spent decades working and being active in civic organizations in Hawaii. For nearly 25 years I worked in the private sector, including running small businesses, non-profit organizations and in government, including managing a large government department.
That experience has helped me be a far better legislator. I understand how laws and regulations affect the private sector and how they impact individual and groups of people and our resources. I also understand how government works from the inside, which means I understand how we can make it work better.
- President, Hawaii Women Lawyers
- Windward District Representative, State Board of Education
- Kailua Neighborhood Board
- UH Master Gardener
- Aikahi Elementary Fun Fair Chair
- Chairperson, Department of Land and Natural Resources
- Agricultural Liaison, City and County of Honolulu
- Director, State Office of Planning
- State Senator, District 25
- Gerson Grekin Wynhoff & Thielen
- Managing Attorney, Legal Aid Society of Hawaii
- The Grantwriter
- Lilinoe Orchard
- Punahou 1979
- University of Colorado
- Case Western Reserve law school
- Georgetown Public Policy Institute (finished degree with classes at UH)